Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Ossie-Sharon 6 years ago

Hi, juleslack. Sorry, yes, using starchy vegetables as your “vegetables of choice” can complicate things a bit – but at least you may have found the culprit! Option B: if you like fruit, you can substitute 1/2 cup of fresh fruit for a vegetable exchange.
What have you tried against belly fat?

juleslack 6 years ago

Thank you for your reply. As stated those are the only veggies I like. DO not like others and do not like soups or vinegar for dressing. So I have been doing the diet wrong then, when it says “Veggies of your choice” I have been eating peas or corn on the cob,because I am burnt out on eating a salad every day. I walk daily and stretch also in the am. This is my 3rd week at the same darn weight and I have a feeling that MENOPAUSE has a lot to do with it! Because I have tried and failed everything to try and get rid of this belly fat and nothing works! GRRRRRRR

Ossie-Sharon 6 years ago

Hi, juleslack. Peas, corn and potatoes are actually in the “Carbohydrates” category because they are starchy, but radishes, carrots, and baby greens are fine to repeat. Note that some vegetables similar to those flavors (turnip, kohlrabi, cucumber) may also suit you. You may also find that eating other vegetables in soup form (e.g., celery, onions, zucchini, even greens) may make them more palatable, as may sauces (tomato). Fresh herbs and related seasonings (parsley, garlic) can also be counted as vegetables. For dressings, try vinegars (plain or flavored) or lemon juice, which are “free” and therefore can be used in larger amounts than even low-fat dressings.

Regarding your weight plateau, the most reliable (and healthiest) way to give your body a boost here is through physical activity. This is not just because of the extra energy it burns, but also because it protects and strengthens your most important fat-burning asset, muscle tissue.
If you are new to exercise, please let us know, and we can assist you with resources on getting started if you wish—note that you don’t have to dive headfirst into anything strenuous, and that there are helpful exercises to fit all ability levels and time schedules. Even just walking in place in front of the TV for the length of a sitcom is great—if you feel like you’re “out of shape,” just start with 5 minutes each time, and work your way up to 30 minutes, then twice per day if you need.
If you recently started exercising, the number on the scale may not be reliable at this stage. Since you are now swapping fat for muscle, which is much heavier, you may be getting healthier while the number of pounds or kilos stays the same. In this case, pay more attention to how you’re looking and feeling, how your clothes are fitting, etc. You may be pleasantly surprised!
If you have been exercising all along, the muscles you usually use may have become complacent and don’t burn energy the way they did at the beginning. In this case, we suggest to introduce new exercises, even swapping them out for the old ones for a little while, to wake up new muscles. The best results have been reported with introducing weight training—again, it doesn’t have to be super strenuous, just something you can do on a regular basis. Even just lifting filled food cans in front of the TV counts. Another option is to mix up the rhythm by adding bursts of higher intensity movement to a steady aerobic regime. This can be something like 30 seconds of jogging or going uphill every 5 minutes during a regular walk.
Another common cause of lack of weight loss or weight gain is an imbalance in thyroid function. For this, we recommend getting tested and followed by your healthcare provider. If you are receiving medication, be sure the dose matches your need.
If you have additional questions or concerns, or if none of these scenarios appear to apply to you—and/or you are noticing that the food amounts are exceeding your physical comfort level—please do repost, and we will work with you to right-size both aspects of your plan.

juleslack 6 years ago

I have never been a good veggie eater since childhood. I only like a handful and have tried others, but just do not like the taste or texture of them. I only like baby peas (Canned), corn on the cob (only), radishes, carrots (raw only, not cooked), & potatoes. Have learned to eat healthy spring mix or baby greens salads, but add shredded carrots to it to give it a little crunch. But 2 tbls of low fat dressing does not go very far and have been burnt out on salads already (only on week 3 of club)ANd have been the same weigh now for almost 2 weeks. Lost 6 lbs the first week. Getting frustrated…….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.