Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Ossie-Sharon 11 years ago

Thanks for the input – we try to honor the best of all worlds, since healthy weight loss and maintenance can be such a very individual thing. We are working to ensure that at least 1 Tbsp. good fats can be fit into the day.
In my experience and research, all fats count as calories, but there are basic recommendations for survival. If you are not very physically active, you are right to be more conservative in your fat intake. You will find that our plans will ultimately come closer to what you have been accustomed, while remaining low in fat.
As for cooking in olive oil, if it is not over very high heat for extended periods of time, it is OK for cooking. Don’t forget that the famous Greek diet, considered a gold standard for health and longevity, includes cooking with olive oil.

lorri 11 years ago

Dear Trim Down Club (TDC),

Olive oil for cooking:
I have often heard, read and been told by my naturopath that the heat resistance of olive oil is low which leads to olive oil turning rancid when used in cooking, yet TDC seems to promote olive oil in cooking. Instead, I have been told that grapeseed oil is by far the best oil for cooking as its heat resistance is the highest of all oils, thus preveniting rancidity during the cooking process. How do you feel about replacing olive oil with grapeseed oil when using oil in cooking?

Daily consumption of fat:
I’m a big fan of Udo Erasmus, a Polish Canadian scientist known for decades as a “fat guru” … he’s the one who created the Udo 3-6-9 Oil Blend by Flora that you see in virtually every health food store, and wrote “Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill”. He states that it takes good fat (as in “essential” fat) to burn bad fat and that without a lot of good or essential fat in our systems, we haven’t got a hope of effectively dealing with weight issues long term. His “prescription” if you will is 1 tbs. of 3-6-9 oil (or equivalent) for every 50 lbs of your own body weight. Weighing in at roughly 150 lbs, that means Udo would expect me to consume 3 tbs. of 3-6-9 (or other “essential” fats in the same ratio) every single day, whether trying to lose weight or maintain it. I have taken 1 tbs a day for probably 10 years now (especially good for my joints), but have never had the guts to go all the way to 3 tbs as Udo suggests. Now, Udo’s recommendation flies totally in the face of what you are recommending in your daily Menu Planner. Since I have started TDC, I am having difficulty seeing where I can fit the even 1 tbs a day into the Menu Planner, let alone 3 tbs. How do you explain your seeming avoidance of fat (yes, there’s a little, but VERY little) compared with Udo’s approach of 1 tbs of essential fats per 50 lbs of body weight per day … in fact, Udo goes one step further … he claims that “essential fats” need not even fit into our caloric count for the day … because these “essential” fats cannot be produced by the body, the 3 tbs needs to be consumed over and above our desired caloric intake for the day (and an extra 1 tbs per day thrown in during the winter months in northern climes where we get dried out by weather effects and indoor heating). Please explore with us your stance on how and why Udo’s views on 1 tbs of “essnetial fats” per 50 lbs of body weight per day can or cannot be integrated into your TDC dietary approach to really low fat.

Thank you,
Lorri

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.