Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Ossie-Sharon 10 years ago

Hi, kbuch39. Most of our recipes are gluten-free, even if not labeled as such (they will be labeled in the future). If you know your restrictions, then your should be fine. If not, please post here again, and I will help you.
In terms of diverticulitis, what you can eat depends greatly on your immediate condition – if you have an active infection or are being preventive. For the preventive stage (diverticulosis), there are several rules for avoiding flare-ups, and they are easy to spot: avoid popcorn, hulls (such as in peas), nuts, and seeds (this means not only regular nuts and seeds, but also foods like corn and pomegranate, as well as any baked goods that may have seeds, such as health breads). Most of our recipes are consistent with these rules; however, it is recommended that you look over the recipe to be sure it is “clean” – more than likely, you can omit or make a substitution for the high-risk ingredient without disrupting the recipe.
Having said that, I should point out that the recipes and diet in general are very high in fiber. While during the infection stage you have to avoid fiber, during the dormant stage the body’s reaction to this can be very individual. If you have not been on a high-fiber diet before, it is important that you increase the amount gradually, and stop when you start to feel discomfort. Eating gluten-free may help with this, as those baked goods usually have less fiber due to inclusion of low-fiber flours (potato, tapioca, corn). Choosing cooked vegetables over fresh also lowers the fiber. If you have any specific questions, please do post here.

kbuch39 10 years ago

I am also gluten free and have diverticulitis. Are there any recipes that cover these conditions. thanks

leeloo77 10 years ago

GF Bread consistency/ density can be strange and unappealing. I like Bob’s Red Mill pizza dough mix, which tastes and feels like crust! I am just guessing at this point since I have not tried- but I bet they make a good bread mix too. I will be looking into this because so far Udis and others are not great.

Ossie-Sharon 10 years ago

Hi, raffles. Until others chime in, I just want to note that there are some good rice-based breads out there, including sprouted whole rice – examples http://www.foodforlife.com/search/node/rice%20bread. If they seem dry to you, take advantage of spreads – especially those with good fats (avocado, olive oil for Italian-style dipping) and proteins (nut butters, which also provide good fats), which provide even more beneficial balance for the carbohydrates.

raffles 10 years ago

I have Hashimoto’s Disease which means I am unable to eat wheat, oats (because of the similar protein in them), rye, barley and malt. I am having difficulty in finding any ‘good’ breads with flavour and that are not too dry. Has anyone any ideas on this subject?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.