Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Ossie-Sharon 10 years ago

Deborah, I’m delighted to help 🙂

Deborahjjhayes 10 years ago

Ossie, you are amazing!!! You are so patient and I thank you for putting up with all my questions, but since I plan on doing this for life. I need to get it right and understand it! Thanks again

I went back to all my research and I think I’m going to stay on the gluten free because of this article. If you have time I’d love for you to read it and let me know what you think.
Livestrong.com the limitless potential of you “Gluten Free Fibromyalgia Improvement Diet” April 16, 2013 Fibro Diet Mayoclinic.com

Hi, Deborah. That’s one way to go, but you can just unclick the ‘Gluten-Free’ option when you enter the Menu Planner – it will open up more options for you, too.
The disadvantage of being on a gluten-free diet if you don’t need it is the risk of running into refined flours and all sorts of additives to make the products work without gluten. You also miss out on the unique benefits of the various gluten-containing grains.

So to change my menu,if I don’t need gluten free I would just untick ALL ITEMS TICKED FOR GLUTEN FREE? wHAT WOULD THE REPROCUSSSIONS FOR STAYING ON IT?

Hi, Deborah. What Anna wrote is excellent. The medical literature states there is no connection between the two disorders (gluten intolerane and fibromyalgia), and so gluten-free diets are not recommended. However, you can still try it, if you wish, because fibromyalgia is a disorder for which it is not clear what to do (and as you can see from Kimberly’s post, some healthcare professionals do suggest it). However, do be sure to use whole grains as much as possible, and don’t continue if you are not benefiting.

AnnaH 10 years ago

What I got from that article Debbie is not that it is eating gluten free per se that can make a person gain weight if they not actually gluten intolerant but that if they go on a gluten free diet using the processed gluten free products in supermarkets etc they are likely to be upping their intake of processed sugar and fats. This is also obviously true even with home-made GF products too if a reduction in sugar and fats isn’t taken on board.

One of my daughters is gluten intolerant and before she was diagnosed when she was 22 she lost 28lbs and weighed 70lbs, she’s taller than I am so looked terribly undernourished. It took her 2 years to gain back the weight she lost. Maybe partly because she didn’t eat a lot of the processed gluten free products out there. I’ve always cooked from scratch and she isn’t a fan of ready meals etc. She also has a problem with nuts and a lot of GF cakes, cookies etc over here have nuts in so she had a limited choice of those and there was the cost element too which limited her intake of what she could eat of those as they are very expensive. Also perhaps because her tastes changed because of her diet change she virtually has given up chocolate which used to be something she ate daily. She has a healthy diet much like the TDC plan with the GF option ticked albeit with some processed sugars. She has maintained her weight for the last year.

Diabetes is not the only reason for getting rid of processed sugar in food, I have a problem with it as you know, and had routine tests recently for diabetes amongst other things. I got the impression the doctor was surprised that I wasn’t diabetic and my cholesterol levels were low. The amount of hidden sugar that an average person eats if they eat processed foods is a whopping 156lbs a year.

kimberly68 10 years ago

My Chiropractor also strongly suggested a gluten free diet for my fibromyalgia. From what I understand, it can be a huge contributor to the fibro pain.

Ossie, I’m not diabetic, nor am I gluten intolerant. Ihave fibromyalgia. I was just reading one of ya’ll’s articles the that gluten free can make you gain unless there is a need for it. When I was was doing research on fibromyalgia is was suggesting that gluten free was necessary for fibromyalgia patients.What is your understanding of this?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.