Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Ossie-Sharon 5 years ago

Hi, Gail. Great to read! You can access your profile through the “My Activity” link at the top righ of each site page (in the toolbar).

GailK3 5 years ago

Hi: I am a new club member and had RYGB in 2008 and need to eat better to drop more weight! I did lose 150 lbs and bounced back up but that was because I started to eat regular meals. I tried the suggestions here food wise and found it was too much food at one sitting but I break my meals up a little and eat 6 times a day. My problem is getting into a rut and eating the same foods at each meal ie. same breakfasts etc and grazing. I’m a compulsive eater but doing better after going to OA for several years. This program is teaching me better ways to pair my protein/carbs and I’m hoping to get down a few dress sizes! Thank you for listening. Oh, I would like to change my portion sizes in the program but can’t locate the profile area!! Thanks.

Sebrinabrown 9 years ago

Carekey,

Hi. I also cannot eat all the food suggested. Wayyyy too much for my pouch. If I eat too much one day Mr. grumpy pouch laughs at me and says nothing but liquids today will I allow :). Thankfully I don’t abuse myself too much.

I have had to take the menus and really pare them down to be successful on this plan.

I purchased a cookbook called Slow Carb Living that has a bunch of really good recipes. I also bought some Carbquic from Amazon that is AMAZING! My husband is a type II diabetic and loves his biscuits! I always add cheese to them because they are a little dry without and it adds some protein. I also add protein powder to them to up the protein. It’s expensive but it is worth it to not make my husband feel deprived!

Sebrinabrown 9 years ago

Hello Debra

I am not able to eat fried chicken or chicken fried steak either. First of all the calories are huge on these meals and secondly the coating tends to blow up in the pouch. I pretty much still follow the gastric bypass eating regime that was given to me 10 years ago. I did allow myself to graze a bit the last few years so I gained some weight. I am successfully loosing it again. I am 10 lbs shy of 200 pounds lost. I still tend to eat a lot of home made, protein rich soups again. I forgot how much I loved them. My hubby does not eat soups but I still make them for myself. On really busy days when I hope in my car early and don’t get home until late I make sure I start the day off with a high protein, low carb and low sugar smoothie. I add fruit to it to get my fruit for the day.

I am glad this is working for you! Keep up the good work!

Ossie-Sharon 9 years ago

Hi, carekey56. Yes, some people do. Just be sure to get in all your fruit/vegetable and calcium-rich food servings each day.

carekey56 9 years ago

Does anyone skip the snacks? If so, are you still losing weight?
Does it help if you just eat smaller portions?

carekey56 9 years ago

I had lap band surgery 7 years ago and I too have difficulty trying to eat all the food on this diet. I am wondering what the effects would be if I cut out the snacks and just eat the meals. In some cases I can combine the snack portion in with the main meal if the portions are small, but I don’t know if that is better or to just cut out snacks all together. I have skipped some snacks and even eaten smaller portions just to get some of all the food listed and I am losing about 2 lbs a week so far.

Another thing I did was to take the 7 days of menus and narrowed them down to 2 daily menus that I can follow easily. I just substitute from the lists to give variety. I got this idea from the instructions on the menu planner that said you can use up accumulated foods by following the same menu several times during the week.

Deborahjjhayes 9 years ago

I had gastric bypass 11 years ago. I threw up every day for 13 years!!!! Then I joined TDC. I quit instantly. I couldn’t believe it!! When I go of of it… and forget how horrible it is… I eat something like fried chicken or chicken fried steak and throw up for two days!!! I just eat as much as I can starting with the protein. and then work in a circle around the plate to et balance. I don’t eat it all because I’m so stuffed. but it still works! 😛

Sebrinabrown 9 years ago

I am regularly followed by my gastric group and all of my blood tests have been right where they need to be. The nutritionist is experienced with gastric bypass and she helps us with our eating.

What I’d like to do on this site is to be able to help my husband with his low carb needs and to be able to adapt to for myself. I was just curious how other gastric bypass patients were adjusting the amount of food daily to meet their needs.

My back injury does not allow me to exercise. I am limited to walking when I am able. I am working on this and am looking into surgery as a last effort.

The konjac root does more than fill up your stomach. In gastric bypass patients this keeps their insulin levels on an even keel. There was a study that was done with our group (we were just a part of a large study) and it was determined that it helped with the insulin dumping that has started to show up on those of us who are 10 years post surgery.

I will keep adjusting the menus for my husband and for myself also. Perhaps some other gastric bypass members will join in so I can chat with them.

Ossie-Sharon 9 years ago

Hi, Sebrina. Thanks for listing your intake. It appears to meat only about half your energy needs, and doesn’t meet your needs for protein and some additional important nutrients, and may put you at risk for undernutrition and rebound weight gain. Given the various physical challenges you describe (liver, adrenals, hypoglycemia post-bypass with volume sensitivity), I hope you are working with a nutritionist in your group of health care providers. I am curious about the choice of konjac, for example, which is actually often used as an appetite suppressant, as it swells with the fluids you drink and takes up a lot of space in your stomach. Do you have access to a physical therapist who can help find exercises for you that will not aggravate your back pain? There are others in the Trim Down Club who have similar difficulties, but have found workouts that enable them to pursue a healthy metabolism. As for the grazing, did it not help to set specific times for eating?

Sebrinabrown 9 years ago

Thank you.

Here is a typical day for me:

AM – hot tea nothing added
100 calorie Chobani yogurt
a piece of fruit (pear, peach, grapefruit)
or steel cut oats and raisins (no sugar other than the raisins)

If I’m not feeling like I can really eat I will make a high protein shake with frozen fruit, Acia powder, and cacao powder, gogi berry powder, flax seed and chia seeds. My adrenals are shot so I also take a daily adrenal supplement. I also add 2 oz of NingXia Red (from young living) daily to my morning ritual.

snack: don’t usually have one, but will sit and have a cup of tea. I’m not hungry but will sometimes have some good cheese, perhaps an ounce or a few nuts or fresh fruit. I have found a Sara Lee low carb bread. If I feel I need something to keep my sugar levels even I will toast a piece with a little almond butter on it.

dinner:

1/2 boneless pork chop(about 3 oz) (or chicken or fish), with a little salt, pepper and garlic baked in the oven
Boston and red leaf lettuce, cukes, tomatoes, onion with about a teaspoon of regular salad dressing – about a cup measured for the whole salad.

PM snack may be tea and perhaps another yogurt to satisfy my evening sweet tooth.

My portions are small so they fit in my pouch without causing vomiting. I cannot eat rice at all and very very small portions of pasta.

I have eliminated a lot of carbs from my diet in the past 2 weeks and have pared my eating down to this routine. My husband is a type II diabetic and I’m trying to use this site to make better food choices for him as well as for myself.

I have a chronic back and pain issue so there are days I cannot exercise but other days I can take walks with my dog.

I drink approx. 80 oz of fluid a day mixed between hot tea (herbal), water with lemon. I have cut my diet peach snapple down to 1-2 a day from 3-4. I am finding it hard to cut out the last two but am working on it. I have stopped eating most sweets (cookies, cake, etc).

I tried following the suggestions for a day and there was just way too much food. However, I am sure my husband could benefit from a whole days suggestion. Eating 6 times a day for me encourages me to graze and that is how I gained some of my weight back. There are days that the thought of food makes me want to cringe and am working on making myself eat. I have been known to have steel cut oats for dinner as it was the only thing that sounded good to my Mr. Grumpy pants pouch 🙂

I have a liver issue and drink several cups of get clean tea and that seems to keep me soothed during the day. It’s herbal so no caffeine to give me the jitters. I use quite few essential oils during the day both internally and topically to keep my energy up and help alleviate my pain. I do use konjac root (recommended by the gastric bypass group who did my surgery) to help with the hypoglycemia if I’m having one of those days.

I think I need to follow the eating plan but cut way back on the portions and substitute items that I can eat with those I cannot.

I was really curious to see what the other gastric bypass members were doing. I do hope someone chimes in on this thread.

Thanks again,

Sebrina

Ossie-Sharon 9 years ago

Hi, Sebrinabrown. Since others haven’t yet chimed in, I will post that there absolutely are other Clubmembers who have undergone some sort of bariatric surgery. The fact that a day’s worth of food is divided into 6 smaller meals is actually what is recommended post-surgery. Having written that, I can understand how the fact that these are whole foods – and therefore have more volume than processed foods – can be intimidating. This can be double the case if you have been restricting your food intake as you describe. If you would like to post here a typical day’s menu before you joined this program (with exact amounts and any additives, if you can), I would be happy to run some calculations and troubleshoot with you.

Sebrinabrown 9 years ago

I have lost a total of 200 lbs with my gastric bypass from 10 years ago. In looking at the menus I am wondering if this is going to work for me. It was overwhelming to just pick 6 carbs for each meal. I am lucky if I eat an english muffin in one day. Are there any others here who are post-gastric bypass and how do you cope with what looks like a mountain of food.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.