Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Ossie-Sharon 5 years ago

Hi, MichelleLee. Sometimes a strong immune system can react to “bugs” (especially from children) in a way that can derail your digestive system. In these cases, goi7ng easy on uncooked and unfermented plant foods other high-fiber foods- temporarily, of course – can help. Ironically, focusing more on animal foods can help here, especially if the are of high-quality (super lean, unprocessed, pastured or grass-fed, organic, fortified with omega-3. After a couple of weeks, gradually increase the percentage of plant foods.

MichelleLee63 5 years ago

One of our grandsons have a cough and a runny nose (but that is fairly normal for 5 year olds – someone at school is always ill). However both myself and my husband are in good health at the moment (if you ignore the fact that I am on constant medication for Asthma, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, acid reflux, etc. I am hoping this diet will get me off some of the tablets…)

Ossie-Sharon 5 years ago

Hi, MichelleLee. Thanks for that information. Is there by any chance some sort of illness floating around your environment? People with colds or the flu?

Hi Ossie-Sharon, I am not sure what is causing it. I record in my diet journal what different veg I have eaten. My husband eats a lot of his veg raw (as he prefers it that way) but I generally steam, boil or stir fry mine (I have a special stone wok which allows me to stir fry without oil – the veg makes its own juices). I don’t like many legumes. In general I have been eating: Raw veg (cherry tomatoes); cooked veg (broccoli, spring greens, bean sprouts, garlic, onion, mange tout, tomatoes, beetroot, mushrooms, cabbage, fennel, asparagus, sweet peppers, spring onions, spinach, carrots, courgette, leek); Cooked starchy veg (water chestnuts, sweetcorn, butter nut squash, baking apples, parsnip, sweet potato, white potato, garden peas); raw fruit (strawberries, blueberries, apple, nectarine, grapes, honeydew melon, cantaloup melon, mango, pineapple, prunes, dried cranberries (fresh are out of season)); Legumes (baked beans in tomato sauce (tinned), haricot beans, edamame, lentils). None of these foods are new (I have always eaten what I considered healthy food), the difference is that I have reduced the size of the meat portions, eaten more fish and seafood, eaten less starchy veg, and eaten A LOT more fruit and veg. Also I have eaten more regularly, eating more food in the first half of the day, and less in the second half. Something (or several things) out of all this change has made us both quite windy!

Ossie-Sharon 5 years ago

Hi, MichelleLee. Is it all “vegetation,” or just certain types? Both cooked and raw vegetables? Legumes?

Is it just me, or does eating this much vegetation make you fart like a trouper? My husband is doing the healthy eating with me and it is having the same effect on him. I am starting to worry how much this eating plan could contribute towards global warming! I dare not add artichokes to the mix as they are notorious (my mum always calls then fartichokes).
Any suggestions on other vegetation to avoid, or will my digestive system get used to it after a while?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.