Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
camplaffalot 11 years ago

I can relate to what you wrote, nailart: I am feeling much better mentally and emotionally since I joined Trim Down. Studying and planning have perked up my mind, and I feel so much better about myself! The support here is great, too.

Onward and upward! Errr….downward? on the scale? LOL

Big hugs all round!
Mary Ellen

nailart 11 years ago

I am so sorry to hear of your daughter’s death. I think it is a big step for you signing up to Trim down and posting on here. I used to be slim and active when routine surgery went very wrong – I am now very overweight and in a wheelchair most of the time. Following this plan is actually really helping me – mentally as well as physically. I keep the meal plan simple with not too much variation as I cannot do much in the kitchen, but even this is better than I was doing! I am finding that getting to the gym when I can really helps, but even just the extra activity needed to prep and cook these meals at set times of my day is proving beneficial – all round I feel I have more energy. I am already losing weight in the fist six days – which is a first for me since the injury. Our weight and activity levels do have such a huge effect on how we feel mentally/emotionally. For me it’s baby steps and accepting my “off” days, then getting back up again. I offer you good luck, and every best wish for you and your family. With Hugs.

camplaffalot 11 years ago

I LOVED walking and can no longer do it (in a mobility scooter now), but back in my 50s, I did a “virtual walk” across the US. It’s really fun to log your miles! Here’s a link to a site: http://walking.about.com/cs/measure/a/webwalkingusa.htm

I can feel your fight to come back. You CAN do it too! I’m fighting cancer and can only do seated exercises now, at 73, but I’m gonna feel better, I’m gonna feel better, I AM! Let’s do it.

Hugs,
Mary Ellen

lionpops 11 years ago

So sorry for your loss.If you are not confident enough for the gym, you did say that you preferred your own company,then get your walking shoes out, put a pedometer on and get walking.Start of slow and increase your distance over the weeks.You will probably find a walking plan on the Internet .This is free and will improve your mental health.God Luck!

slgriepens 11 years ago

Thank you. I appreciate your advice

jmda1965 11 years ago

I can only imagine your pain. My advice to you is to get back in the gym. The energy in the gym will feed the depression. I wish you the best.

slgriepens 11 years ago

Trim Down,

I am 45 years old and was extremely active and health-conscious until losing my 14-year old daughter 3 years ago in a car accident. I’ve not been the same since in any capacity. Basically, I stopped eating, sleeping, and exercising and started working as much as possible. I went from a very active job to an office job because I was no longer able to work in the ER environment – too many reminders. After Danielle died, I went from working out 1-2 hours per day, teaching kickboxing and running half-marathons to thinking about exercising while sitting in my recliner staring at my stationary bicycle. I also have a treadmill, in-home gym, and a various assortment of workout tools – no excuses there. I still don’t sleep or exercise but my eating habits have become insane. I haven’t cooked a dozen times in the past 3 years and weigh more now than I ever have. My husband does all the cooking and I must say is not in the least bit knowledgeable or conscientious about nutrition. I’m always fatigued and never have any energy. I feel this affecting my physical health and know it’s time to start fighting back. The Trim Down Club website just happened to pop up late last week while I was sitting here doing nothing. I plan on starting the program tomorrow morning but tomorrow never comes in this part of my life. Sometimes I find myself asking “What’s the point, I’m 45 years old and it’s downhill from here anyways.” But, I’m tired of feeling exhausted all the time and I have a 14-year old son that needs me so it’s time to pack up the self pity and do something about it. My problem is I’m not sure how to find the motivation that once had me wondering how I could live without exercise (even to get started and stay at it would be a blessing). I’d love to be fit and feel good again and I know that it can only help me and my family. I’ve had professional grief counseling and am medicated for depression/anxiety. I used to be very social and belonged to a gym but really prefer to work out alone now. Any advice that you might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated. Please help…Fighting Back

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.