Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Meagan Lee 10 years ago

Phil,
Well, the best way is proper nutrition and planned exercise around your meal times. You need to make sure you have enough protein (which maintains and repairs muscles) and enough carbohydrates (which build lean muscle mass) to support your work outs. When doing cardio it is OK to do it on an empty stomach in the mornings because your body will use your fat storage as its fuel source. Honestly, your body will adjust to the work outs in the morning. Some days you may feel sluggish and some you wont, its about the same as in the afternoon. If you must do it in the afternoon then try to do it 3 hours after eating. If you are speaking of weight bearing/resistance training you must eat within an hour after your work out so your body does not use muscle for its fuel source, it will use the food you feed it as the fuel. Its all based on timing and learning how your body uses what you feed it. I always say it is the “science behind the exercise”
If you eat enough protein throughout the day you will lose minimal amounts of muscle and burn more fat.

TDC- stands for Trim Down Club. I use the acronym! I apologize!

Meagan Lee 10 years ago

When is the best time to exercise, morning, evening?
Tanya,
The best time to do cardio for fat loss is in the morning on an empty stomach. You need to make sure that you know your fat burning zone (aerobic and anaerobic threshold) by using a heart rate monitor and getting it assessed by a professional. This will ensure that you are not wasting your time while doing cardio and will increase your success in fat loss!

But be sure to eat your breakfast immediately following your cardio because we do not want your body going into the state of using your muscles for fuel.

Start out with 20 minutes and add 5 minutes each week when you are ready.

philpayne 10 years ago

Hi Meagan, I am interested in finding out how to best burn fat and not muscle, can you help me with this?
What is TDC? I saw your comments about doing cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. How does this work as you must have a low blood sugar level at this time, how can you maintain enough energy to do a cardio workout?

Thanks

Phil.

Meagan Lee 10 years ago

TRaffey,
It depends on your goals. If it is for fat loss doing cardio in the morning when you first wake up. If you are building lean muscle mass it is best to work out within 3 hours of eating depending on how your body reacts to having food in the stomach and exercising. My peak time to weight lift is 1.5 hours after eating.

Tanya 10 years ago

When is the best time to exercise, morning, evening?

Meagan Lee 10 years ago

Cardio is a great way to help you lose weight but scientifically you are only burning calories while doing it. Adding some weight training into the program will ensure you are burning calories at rest. The more lean muscle mass you add to the body the more calories your body will burn while just sitting there. You muscles need energy to maintain themselves and if you follow the TDC guidelines and nutrition plan along with a balanced exercise program you will see results quickly (6-8 weeks). The one thing you don’t want is not eating correctly (if you don’t follow the TDC nutrition program) your body will use your muscles as fuel (energy) as opposed to your body fat; which is opposite of what you want. If you have any more specific questions please let me know and I would be happy to help!
Meagan
B.B.A Kinesiology And Sports Management
Certified Personal Trainer

nettienielson 11 years ago

You CAN eat the same when you exercise, but chances are, you will be much hungrier. Listen to your body and eat when you’re hungry, or eventually your body will go into starvation mode and you will either store fat or cave and go back to your old eating habits. You can consume a few hundred more calories on exercise days, while still having that calorie deficit, and lose weight 🙂

chew92 11 years ago

yes, if you are on true low glycemic diet you should lose weight. Remember it does not mean you can eat all you want in portion. You always need to decrease portions to lose weight. Sometimes it takes a while after exercising faithfully to see the weight loss. If you do these things truly you will lose the weight.

debbieb 11 years ago

So if you eat a low glycemic diet, will your body burn the fat stores on your body instead of what you are eating? I guess I’m still not too sure about how this particular diet will work. I’m excited to learn. Only started it today and feel like I’m satisfied food-wise. I have been exercising (spinning) 3 to 4 times a week but have not been able to lose weight, so I’m hoping this will help me burn fat.

shorti508 11 years ago

Devdra, Hi, I’m newbee to this diet, but not diabetes and exercise.. my answer to your question re exercise vs calories. Your engine (BODY) isn’t burning the fuel (food) you are feeding it. You need to change the fuel… keep exercising… and until you are at the weight u want to be, don’t add calories just because you’re exercising. That definitely keeps the scales balanced rather than dropping. Hang in there, this works. Bev

chew92 11 years ago

your exercise does consume calories but/and if your body is on a burn cycle after exercise and it used up all of the energy (food) it will shut down to preserve calories. It will think you have gone into a starve mode. This is a primitive cave woman function the body has to preserve you from starvation weight loss when you were a cave woman. Now in 2013 there is so much food available to eat everywhere we must run from Saber tooth tigers as we EXERCISE and eat (small portions).

Devdra7 11 years ago

I’m curious why I’m able to eat more calories when I exercise….shouldn’t the exercise help the weight go down based on the original amount of calories…why eat more, doesn’t this just put you back up where you were before the exercise?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.