Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Ossie-Sharon 10 years ago

Hi, EBurrell. The differences can be very subtle, because of the various loopholes in the regulations. Non-GMO means that the feed given to the hens are not genetically modified (a controversial method of crop growth that is different from breeding and hybridization, and may present health risks), and the hens are not given fish meal or parts of other chickens, which is a common method to improve the nutritional value of the egg, but has ethical implications. Organic means the feed is organic, including non-GMO. Cage-free theoretically means the hens are not jammed together in tiny cages that severely restrict their movement; however, the alternative is most often a shared pen, which can still mean their movement is restricted and their beaks removed to prevent mutual injury from fighting, and it does not mean they get to go outside. Grass is considered a good type of feed because it produces good fatty acid composition in the eggs; a comparable term for this can sometimes be “free-range” (these may be easier to find); eggs labeled “omega 3” are also given good feed (often flaxseed, if it is all-vegetarian) to produce a good fatty acid composition.
The ideal egg is a combination of all-of-the-above, but without that, at least one of the following features will do: organic, grass-fed, free-range, omega-3. Unless you shop in certain countries like Greece or Finland, regular eggs are the least best choice.

EBurrell 10 years ago

I shop at Whole Foods to find most of my organic products. I saw that there were Non-GMO, vegetarian fed eggs, but it doesnt’t say it’s organic. I saw Organic, certified humane, vegetarian-fed eggs. I saw organic cage-free, vegetarian fed eggs. Could you explain more about the differences. Which is better for us to eat or are they all good. I haven’t seen grass-fed eggs. Where do we find this product?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.