Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
debbiejoseph 5 years ago

I am going to bookmark this as I am currently limited weight bearing due to tron achilles tendon I presume that i can do same from normal chair I can out 20 percent weight on left foot only in brace on wedge which is being reduced in height every 3 weeks foot will be flat to floor in 9 weeks then 3 weeks level 20 percent weight on left leg then review at ortho and physio cna you tink of any other opportunities other than walking with walker/sticks as I obviously cant swim… thanks Used a wheelchair for 6 days which was easier in some ways but ortho said no send it back currently walker ad boot but that is affecting my arm joints and other leg as I have rheumatoid arthritis and I am trying to avoid a flare or extra problems as I am finding being independent difficult enough at the moment Have booked Dr appointment to discuss with then but its bank hols so nothing for 4 days At least this gives me some ideas in the meantime Thanks

Ossie-Sharon 5 years ago

Hi, Magicweaver. Thanks for the great tips. I wish you a quick and speedy recovery, and of course, a very happy birthday πŸ™‚

Magicweaver59 5 years ago

This list of seated excersize is wonderful. I am also in a wheelchair plus I am about 2 weeks away from my 74th birthday. The list actually motivates me.
I find that swimming and doing water excersizes is helpfull as well. I swim at the YMCA. They have a lift that can lower you into the pool and also take you out again. My left leg was amputated about 8” above the knee so
Right now I am really jazzed about joining this program. swimming is a challenge, i keep rolling to the right.
Y weight up until last June was usually 117 pounds. I gained over 20 lbs during two lengthy hospial and rehab stays and just have hard time losing this weight. I used to hop on my right leg using a rollator. Since i gained the weight was stuck in bed for a total of 3 months I lost a lot of strength., so I have not been hopping which resulted in less strength in my right leg.

jacmae62 5 years ago

Thank you. I am finding the healthy eating plan a challenge. It is great to know I can eat such a variety of food over 6 times a day. It is in total contrast to what I have been advised to do in the past, which is count calories and fast from the age of 8 as I was showing signs of puberty. I guess I have have been taught to see food as something evil which is why I am as heavy as I am now because I became a secret eater. I am battling that demon still.

Ossie-Sharon 5 years ago

Hi, jacmae. It’s great to read you found something that works for you. We’re happy to help however we can.

Ossie-Sharon 5 years ago

Hi, jacmae. It’s great to read you found something that works for you. We’re happy to help however we can.

jacmae62 5 years ago

I am in a wheelchair as well and have gained over 70 lbs since becoming disabled 4 years ago and fighting breast cancer 2 years ago. I have finally built up the confidence to join Trim Down Club and have started to do some exercise. I have found an old video from what looks like the 1980’s on You Tube. It is American and is called Lisa Ericson’s seated aerobics. It is an hour long and very good.

Ossie-Sharon 6 years ago

Hi, Tweetybird. This video clips can provide you with some ideas for upper body strength:
Deskercise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn8Vpzjoz2I&list=PLcYLl4MTY9oQv–HKsFLgST544prdjBx1&index=3
In addition, try the following:
Strength training exercises in a chair or wheelchair
β€’ Weight training
Many traditional upper body exercises can be done from a seated position using dumbbells, resistant bands, or anything that is weighted and fits in your hand, like soup cans.
Perform exercises such as shoulder presses, bicep curls, and triceps extensions using heavier weights and more resistance than for cardio exercises. Aim for two to three sets of 8 to 12 repetitions for each exercise, adding weight and more exercises as your strength improves.
β€’ Seated punches
Simple air-punching, with or without hand weights, is an easy cardio exercise from a seated position, and can be done in front of the television.
Perform each exercise for 1 set of 10 repetitions or what you can manage at first. After you’re familiar with the moves and feel ready, increase to 2 or more sets.
Jab your fist forward, alternating the right and left arms. When jabbing, snap the arm forward as fast as you can without locking the elbow or fully extending the joint. Pull the arm back in as quickly as you can, keeping the other arm up and guarding the face, then jab with the other arm.
Front muscles – 20 repetitions
High muscles – Take your punches up toward the ceiling, alternating sides for 20 repetitions
Front and high muscles – Punch forward, alternating right and left, then punch high, alternating right and left. Repeat, going forward and then up for 20 repetitions.
Repeat 2 more times, moving as fast as you can without causing pain.
β€’ Shoulder Retractions
Sit tall with the abdominal muscles engaged and push the arms straight out in front of you without locking the joints. Bend the elbows and pull them back, squeezing the shoulder blades together, slightly behind the torso. Continue pushing forward and pulling back for 2 sets of 20 repetitions.
β€’ Weight Exchange
Sit tall with abdominal muscles engaged and hold a medium-sized (i.e. 16 oz or 480 g) full can of food or similar weighted object in the right hand, down at your side. Circle the arm up and overhead, taking the object with the other hand and lowering it down to the left side. Continue circling the object overhead, alternating arms and directions. For more intensity, go faster or add a toss at the top of the movement. Repeat for 16 repetitions.
β€’ β€œPrayer” Chest Squeeze
Sit tall and hold your palms together at chest level with elbows out, and squeeze the palms together to contract the chest. While continuing to squeeze, slowly push your arms forward out in front of you at chest level until elbows are almost straight. Continuing the pressure with your hands, bend the elbows and pull the ball back to chest. Repeat for 16 repetitions.
β€’ Overhead Press and Alternating Arms
Sit with good posture holding light-medium objects in both hands. Begin with arms bent to 90 degrees, weights next to ears (arms should look like goal posts). Press the weights overhead and lower back down, repeating 8 times. Next, keep one arm down while the other arm presses overhead. Continue alternating arms for 8 repetitions (1 repetition= both right and left arm).
β€’ Front Raise with Triceps Extension
Sit tall and hold weights at your sides. Sweep the arms up so shoulder level and then continue overhead until the arms are next to the ears. Bend the elbows and lower the weights behind the head to about 90 degrees. Straighten the arms and sweep them back down, repeating 16 times.
β€’ Resistance exercises
Resistance bands can be attached to furniture, a doorknob, or your chair. Use these for pull-downs, shoulder rotations, and arm extensions.
Wrap a lightweight resistance band under your chair (or bed or couch, even) and perform rapid resistance exercises, such as chest presses, for a count of one second up and two seconds down. Try several different exercises to start, with 20 to 30 repetitions per exercise, and gradually increase the number of exercises, repetitions, and total workout time as your endurance improves.

Tweetybird99 6 years ago

I am also in a wheelchair. Can you point me in the right direction for upper body exercise videos? I put on a lot of weight due to the pain meds I am taking.

Ossie-Sharon 6 years ago

Hi, June. I’m following up on your email exchange with customer service. How are you doing?

juneconroy1517 6 years ago

hi, I’m, in a wheelchair and I cant do much in the way of exercise, I have put on a very lot of weight since I went in my chair. I started the diet club 1 week ago, today is the last day of my first week of changing my diet. I did not change much as I try to eat well in the first place. so I am concerned that I won’t lose any weight. So can you tell me what to do? do I make my self very hungry before I eat I have noticed that I am eating more meals with this? I only ever ate twice a day breakfast and tea time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.