Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
yolfer 10 years ago

hello
i have type 1 diabetic

brosakwe 10 years ago

Hello,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am in touch with my Doctor about not taking medication any longer. I’m pleased to say that my blood sugar levels are back to normal again and as I think about it I had a stressful couple of days which could have affected my blood sugar.
I don’t have a lot of carbs in my diet but I watch the effect that different foods have on my blood sugar. Thanks for your reply.

Ossie-Sharon 10 years ago

Hi, brosakwe. First, congratulations on your earlier success. We will do our best to help you there. Second, please do remain in contact with your healthcare time on this – you probably are, I would just like to be sure.
Yes, you most likely have insulin resistance, which is why you had diabetes in the first place. With regard to increasing blood sugar despite weight loss, it could be a couple of things.
Have you been ill or stressed? These will raise blood sugar.
Do you have some sort of physical activity? This can be of huge benefit in managing blood sugar.
Some people are more sensitive than others to the glycemic value of foods. For example, even if you use whole brown rice or whole grain bread, the body sees it them like white products. Some people are very sensitive to potatoes and corn, etc. Quinoa and other “ancient grains” tend to work better for these people.
Beyond the carbohydrates, the fats are very important – be sure to avoid too much omega-6 (corn, soy, regular safflower and sunflower oil, and of course ‘vegetable’ oil; even grape seed and rice bran oils are high), and get plenty of omega-3s and omega-9s (omega-9 is high in olive oil). This is also true for animal products. If you can’t get pastured/grass-fed meats, do be sure to at least get pastured or omega-3 eggs, as it has been shown that regular eggs can aggravate and even cause diabetes.
I would suggest playing with your sources of carbohydrates to see which may be better for you. You may even consider swapping some fruits for non-starchy vegetables. Do be sure to always have a source of protein with any source of carbohydrate. Some seasonings can also be supportive – particularly pure cinnamon – and certain vegetables – such as cabbage and the leaves of the prickly pear cactus (called nopales).
See if you can increase exercise (if you would like some guidance with this, please do repost here), and of course, drink plenty of water – your body needs it to dilute blood sugar.

brosakwe 10 years ago

Hello Trimdown experts
I was diagnosed with diabetes in December 2013 with a very high blood glucose level. I changed my diet cutting out all processed foods and reduced my carbohydrates so no pasta, rice or bread but I do eat rolled porridge oats for breakfast. I successfully reduced my blood sugar levels to the normal range and came off medication on 13th Feb 2014 and kept my blood sugar within the normal range for a month. However this week my fasting blood sugar has started to rise and within days has gone from 5.4 on average to 7.0 today. I am very concerned as I am still losing weight on my new diet, from 165 pounds (from 181 in July) when I started in December to 153 and my blood pressure is fine. Do I have insulin resistance? If I do what can I do to overcome it?

Ossie-Sharon 10 years ago

Hi, Sharon. This program is based on principles of diabetic nutrition and balancing blood sugars. If you have any specific questions, I’m happy to help.

Sharonworrell 10 years ago

Type 2 diabetes issues

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.