Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Meagan Lee 10 years ago

Hey Vinny in Nor-Cal!

How old are your shoes? Are you running uphill or on flat? Treadmill or outside?

You can start with the basic standing toe touch stretch. You calves are tight because your hamstrings are tight, if you hamstrings are tight so are your glutes and lower back. They are all connected.

Start with these two stretches:

Toe Touch:
Stand with some space in front and behind you.
Bend at the waist, keeping your legs straight, until you can relax and let your upper body hang down in front of you. Let your arms and hands hang down naturally. Hold for 10 to 20 seconds.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/standing-toe-touches

Calf Stretch:
Stand with your feet hip-distance apart, one foot slightly in front of the other.
Bend both knees, keeping your back heel on the floor. Hold for 10-15 seconds. Switch sides.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/standing-soleus-and-achilles-stretch

I hope this helps!

VacavilleVinny 10 years ago

I tried to start light jogging but my calves are so tight. How do I stretch them out so my jog will be more comfortable? Thanks. Vinny in Nor-Cal

Tanya 10 years ago

Thanks for the tips, its good to know. Years ago I bought this “wieght lifting bar” . It has a large eleastic band that is connected to each end of the bar. So I have been doing that with my arms mostly, then I start this ab chellenge that was on face book. So my 1st week on the trim down I lost 4.5 lbs, the 2nd week once I started doing the other excersises I only lost half a pound..but lost 3 inches on my waist and hips!! Cant wait too see what next week holds!

Meagan Lee 10 years ago

Tanya,
If you want fat loss then doing cardio in the mornings on an empty stomach is best. This will increase fat loss while doing the exercise. If you are weight lifting or strength training then the timing just depends on your body but definitely NOT on an empty stomach. Maybe look into a hand peddling bike or row machine if that is more comfortable for you. It will help your upper body strength and get your heart rate up to your desired rate.

Resistance training will be your best bet and doing cardio when you can will make it even better! You want to add some lean muscle mass for fat loss at rest, and resistance training is the best way to get that. You only burn calories while doing cardio not at rest.

No work out, cardio or resistance training, is never for nothing!

Tanya 10 years ago

Does it matter what time of day you work out? Also I have MS and my legs dont allow me to do much cardio. I do intervals on my tredmill where I run for a minute at a time, if my legs are up for it. I also have a bike, but again cant get a full workout like I want. I have been sticking well to my menu, so I hope my little workouts arent for nothing..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.