Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
gunnergirl 10 years ago

I also have sciatica and piriformis muscle problems…a good stretching class, yoga was very helpful. Relieved the pain in my butt and legs…I was told by my doctor to lose weight and that will relieve much of the problems….walking is very beneficial. Keep moving even slowly is good…but keep moving that’s the ticket…Hope this helps…GOOD HEALTH TO YOU.

Ossie-Sharon 10 years ago

Hi, Blewis66. Walking is considered excellent for sciatica if you keep your shoulders back, your head up, and your hips tucked in under your torso, almost as if you are trying to pull your hips up towards your bellybutton (don’t let your spine become overly-curved so that your buttocks stick out, as that can make it more likely that that sensitive nerve gets pinched). It is also recommended to take a Pilates class with an instructor who can help guide you.
Stretching is also very important. See some guidance here: http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/article-detail/Stretches-for-Sciatica-Sciatica-Exercises-and-Stretches/5g/.

Blewis1966 10 years ago

I have scatia to in my lower back need some advice. Kinds of. Exercise programs to do

Alariuslaru 10 years ago

Deborahjjhayes I too have fibromyalgia. I find walking and swimming a struggle at the best of times but It helps keeps my mood somewhat stable I am also autistic and prone to melt downs but as soon as I’m in the pool I feel more free I can swim at my own pace and often find it refreshing

dixeybelle 10 years ago

I FIND WATER EXERCISE VERY GOOD AS IT DOES NOT HURT YOUR HIPS. i BELONG TO A GROUP & SEVERAL OF THEM HAVE HAD HIP REPLACEMENTS OR KNEE REPLACEMENTS & FIND EXERCISING IN THE WATER TAKES THE WEIGHT OFF THESE JOINTS

Meagan Lee 10 years ago

Kahlroma42,
What has your doctor or physical therapist said about doing cardio via the elliptical, bike, or treadmill?

If you are unable to do any lower body exercises I would suggest doing upper body exercises that help get your heart rate up such as shoulder press, bicep curls, tricep extension, rows (my fav exercise for more of a cardio work out).

Kahlroma42 10 years ago

I have 2 hip replacements, what type of workout is best for me?

Meagan Lee 10 years ago

col42hug,
Thank you for the insight! What types of exercises do they recommend?

col42hug 10 years ago

With shoulder, sciatica and leg muscle aches and pains I find the exercises you can print down from the Paracetamol site very helpful. They certainly assist with the shoulder and neck pains. Good exercises too for relief of the sciatic pain. No medication, just exercises and gently too.

Meagan Lee 10 years ago

Deborahjjhayes,
Yes maam, it will absolutely work without an exercise program. Once you are evaluated by your physician and they find out exactly what is going on with your hip you can ask questions such am I able to do upper body exercising? If so, what kind? They may have you do physical therapy which will give you a great foundation of what to do once released from therapy. With OA and Fibro, they are very similar in the way exercises programs are created so when you are ready please let me know and I can help you with creating an exercise program that fits you!

Deborahjjhayes 10 years ago

I ,too, have health issues. I have fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis , and either a tear to the lining of the ball joint in my hip, or a hip fracture. Going to the doctor Weds. for an MRI on hip and lower back. Will the diet work with no exercise until I get treated ?

AJFREE 10 years ago

By the way, I also agree with Meagan and her suggestions.:-)

AJFREE 10 years ago

You could try water fitness, or perhaps even a cross trainer. I have had arthritis since my mid twenties. It started in my hips and has spread to other joints . There is a lot of low impact water exercise besides just swimming. Even water walking is an option. I have slacked off this past year and am working on getting back on track. This time I am being realistic about my limitations and slowly moving forward. The crossrainer can also be a low to no impact solutions. What about biking my father a severe knee and joint problems and he bikes a lot. Where there is will there is a way. Anything you can manage is better than nothing! Good luck. Looking forward to hearing mor about your journey.

Meagan Lee 10 years ago

Kimbly,
We are so glad you have joined the Trim Down Club! I would suggest that you do little things sitting down in a chair such as bicep curls with even a filled 12oz water bottle, tricep kickbacks with the water bottles, shoulder side laterals and front chest presses without any weight (this shouldn’t hurt your shoulder or cause additional neck pain), sitting stretches, sitting calf raises, and maybe, just maybe sitting leg raises that help work the front part of your leg (quadricep).

Even with arthritis, movement is good. Once you have made progress with these exercises and the meal plan you will be well on your way to more movements you can do!

If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

Kimbly 10 years ago

Hi all

I am new to this, just started today in fact, but already have my shopping list!

Anyway – I have some challenging health problems, obviously made worse by excessive weight. But because of the problems, there is very little I can actually do. I’ll explain…
Legs/back/joints – I have sciatica in my neck and back and arthritis in most joints. I used to walk for miles and loved walking. Now I’m lucky if I can get to the local shops, which was a ten minute walk along country roads… Walking almost any distance is a challenge.
Anything repetitive is difficult, so walking, swimming, def no running! Even yoga is a struggle now.
I have recently damaged the cartilage in my knees, which may require surgery to correct.
I also have a shoulder problem, made worse by the sciatica, which kinda rules out swimming
So I am kind of stuck as to what, if any, exercise I can actually do.

Any ideas?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.