Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Ossie-Sharon 8 years ago

Congratulations, salmonfish, and thanks so much for that lovely share 🙂 We wish you continued success and good health.

salmonfish71 8 years ago

My journey is not over but it is well underway. That in and of itself gives me hope. Today I am wearing pants that I haven’t worn in over 2 years which is quite encouraging. While I have a long way to go I am confident that I will get there.

When I first began this journey it was with Nutrisystem. I ordered a month’s worth of food and embarked on this challenge with great enthusiasm. Once I gained an understanding of how Nutrisystem works I started varying from their foods and doing many of my own. For example, all of their food is kept at room temperature and I am sure is full of preservatives. The flavor of meals is mediocre at best but the snacks are generally good. Anyway, I digress. Because Nutrisystem essentially repackages other company’s products and puts their name on the outside it didn’t take me long to figure out more appetizing alternatives.

For example, Lean Cuisine meals have about the same calorie content as a Nutrisystem dinner and are much tastier. I would imagine they are more nutritious as well. The key is eating often enough as to never grow hungry. I’ve learned that when I am really hungry everything sounds good. So it’s easy to give into temptation and eat something I wish I hadn’t.

In place of Nutrisystem snacks I found a whole host of options out on Amazon and elsewhere. That includes Pop Chips, almonds, pistachios, low calorie dessert treats and a whole host of food bars including some that have 20g of protein and only 3g of fat.

It’s important to count every calorie to the best of your ability, at least at first. During the course of the day there will be several times that I remind myself of my food and calorie intake thus far. This way I always know where I am in my day in comparison to my calorie goals. When not paying attention it is easy to “let go.” My one bit of leniency is normally on Sundays when I have one meal that does not involve calorie counting (within reason).

I remind myself that this is a marathon and not a sprint. I didn’t pick up my unwanted baggage in a few days and it won’t come off that quick either. If you fall, get back up! Don’t let yourself fall into the trap of thinking that since you went off the rails you might as well give up. Remind yourself why you’re doing what you are doing.

If you are wondering at this point why this doesn’t seem like the normal trim down club menu you’re perceptive! I joined the club predominantly to help me once I made it to my goals. While I know it is effective at both wait loss and weight maintenance I tend to like to do things more independently. It’s working for me so I have to say, “It works!”

Now, if you have read this far you are about to be rewarded. I have recently added something to my diet that is making a huge difference for me. What are commonly branded as “Miracle Noodles” along with a few other brands is Shirataki noodles. These noodles, if properly prepared, are delicious and they have next to no calories. For example, a 7 oz. bag of these runs somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 calories. Find sauces that work with them and then add in vegetables, chicken, shrimp or whatever you like and is healthy. I use them to make stir fry and it is truly satisfying and no more than 300 calories (being liberal in that calorie count) I guarantee that when you eat them you will feel FULL and satisfied. Just a little tidbit that I think you’ll enjoy…

I am a man of faith and so it is important that I note that God has given me strength for this undertaking. He gave me the strength in October of 2013 to walk away from a 20+ year tobacco addiction and now He is giving me the strength to take off the weight I gained in the aftermath. One of the “fruits of the Holy Spirit” mentioned in Galatians is self control and it is this fruit which is being manifested in me now as I continue stumbling along this journey.

If you are looking for hope today, reach out and receive it. Feel free to respond with your thoughts.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.