If you haven’t yet tried green jackfruit, a great place to start is with this popular Paleo-friendly vegan take on a sandwich fan’s best friend.
30 minutes (+10 minutes optional)
- 1¾ cups / 285 g green (young/unripe) jackfruit, fresh or canned/drained
- 2 tsp. / 10 ml olive oil
- ½ medium onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic minced or:
- 1 tsp. / 3 g granulated dried garlic or powder
- 1 tsp. / 5 ml maple syrup
- 2 tsp. / 10 ml coconut aminos or low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, free from high-fructose corn syrup and anchovies (try ours)
- 1 tsp. / 2 g smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. / 1½ g chili powder, preferably chipotle
- ½ tsp. / 1 g ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. / 2 ml liquid smoke (optional)
- ½ cup / 120 ml vegetable broth
- ¼ cup / 60 ml tomato paste or organic ketchup (try ours)
- Coat a knife and your hands with oil (to deflect the fruit’s sticky residue), peel the fruit, and slice wedges of about ½-inch / 1-cm thickness; boil in water with 1 tsp / 6 g salt for about 10 minutes, until tender.
- Preheat oven to 400°F / 200°C. Brush or mist a baking sheet with 1 teaspoon / 5 ml oil.
- Remove the core section and seeds of the jackfruit wedges, and store for another recipe (these go well in salads!)
- Warm the remaining 1 tsp / 5 ml olive oil in a lidded skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium-small bowl, combine the jackfruit with remaining ingredients other than the broth, and toss until well-coated.
- Add the coated jackfruit to the pan, followed by the vegetable broth; cover, and simmer until very tender and liquid is reduced, about for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, drain remaining liquid into the original mixing bowl, and set aside.
- In the skillet, use tongs or a large fork to pull the jackfruit apart into thick strands.
- Spread the strands onto the prepared baking sheet, place in middle rack of the oven, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Combine with the reserved sauce before serving.
If using fresh jackfruit:
Serve as is (see exchanges), wrapped in lettuce leaf (=Free), or on a small (1-ounce / 28-g) dinner roll: 100% or sprouted whole grain (=1 Carb exchange) or Paleo (=½ Protein + 1 Fat exchange).
Can be frozen
Serving size: ½ cup / 120 ml
Exchanges per Serving: 1 Carb, 1 Veg