A simple classic blends two favorites – burger and smothered steak – with a healthy touch to make the satisfying centerpiece of a sensible supper.
Click to get more Easy, Healthy Recipes
- 16 oz / 454 g extra-lean ground beef, preferably pastured
- ½ cup / 60 g whole grain breadcrumbs or toasted almond meal
- 2 egg whites or 1 egg, preferably organic omega-3 or pastured
- ¼ cup / 60 ml water
- ¼ tsp. / 0.7 g freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small clove fresh garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. / 1½ g garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. / 14 ml olive oil (optional)
- 1 cup / 70 g mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- ¾ cup / 180 ml water
- 2 Tbsp. / 33 g ml tomato paste, preferably organic
- 1 Tbsp. / 15 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. / 15 ml Madeira wine or dry sherry (optional)
- Combine first 6 ingredients.
- Divide mixture into equal portions, shaping each into a ½-1 inch / 1-2½ cm thick patty.
- Warm a large non-stick lidded skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties; cook for 3 minutes on each side, or until evenly browned. Remove patties from pan; keep warm.
- Mushrooms (optional): Heat oil in pan, add mushroom slices and cover, stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Add water and remaining ingredients to the pan. Bring to a boil.
- Return patties, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until wine mixture is reduced to ¾ cup / 180 ml, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve hot, or freeze to be re-heated later.
Serving Size: ֲ4-oz / 120-g patty
Exchanges per Serving: ½ Carb, 2 Protein, 1 Fat
I can’t eat beef , so we had this with ground turkey. It was AMAZING!!!
I just made this!! I reduced the amount of bread crumbs just a little!! It came out perfect!!! My family loved it!! I also served fresh broccoli and potato Salad!! I will definitely make this again!! And the best part, it was healthier than I’m used to cooking!!
Lean grass fed beef, what kind ofbeef are we talking about?
I’m pretty sure it’s just a typo… if you do the math, it equals 4 servings.
8 ounces of meat feeds 8 people? no wonder I have a weight problem…
The recipe has been reduced to just 4 portions.
The liquid has been reduced for improved consistency.
Great recipe. I will make it again. My family loved it.
I loved it! Tasty and so great w mashed potatoes and steamed veggies!
Followed the recipe exactly.
“Combine first 4 ingredients”
Simple however it resulted in beef soup in stead of meat patties.
Good Idea, but not suitable for one person, very expensive!
This dish turned out quite nice. I did cut down the amount of water by a half a cup in the first part. Also found it helpful to use herbs and seasoning to flavour the meat. Overall it was a nice dish to build an easy meal around.