You can never go wrong with poached eggs for breakfast. Throw in a few extras, and you’ve got a hearty morning meal!
- 4 organic omega-3 or pastured eggs
- 4 mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. / 30 ml olive oil
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch spinach leaves
- 2 SWG* English muffins, toasted (* Sprouted whole grain)
- Hollandaise sauce (see recipe below) Hollandaise Sauce
- 3 omega-3 or grass-fed egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp. / 30 ml water
- 1 Tbsp. / 15 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp. / 10 g butter, pasture-raised
- Fill a large non-stick frying pan with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Gently break each egg into a teacup, 1 at a time and slide into the simmering water. Simmer the eggs for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the eggs stand in the water for about 10 minutes. Remove the eggs from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Place the spinach in a large bowl and pour boiling water over it. Stir until wilted, and then drain thoroughly.
- Preheat the grill.
- Coat the mushrooms with olive oil and place gill-side up on an oven tray.
- Sprinkle pepper, if desired. Cook the mushrooms under the grill for about 8 minutes.
- Make the hollandaise sauce just before serving.
- Place the egg yolks, water, and lemon juice in a blender, and whisk briskly.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, remove from the heat and pour into the blender in a thin, steady stream.
- Toast the English muffins, cut into halves, and place on a serving plate. Top each half with a helping of spinach, a roasted mushroom, and the poached egg.
- Pour warm Hollandaise sauce over the eggs and serve at once.
Serving Size: 1 slice + 1 egg
Exchanges per Serving: 1 Carb, 2 Protein, 1 Fat