Stuffing is as popular a Thanksgiving indulgence as it is a low-carber's, no-grainer's nightmare. Make your holiday dreams come true in this Native American-inspired, Paleo-friendly, gluten-free, low-carb, keto-friendly slice of heaven.
Click to get more Easy, Healthy Recipes
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 40 minutes
Difficulty Rating 2
Health Level 5
Ingredients Grainless/Low-Carb Bread
- 2 cups / 230 g hazelnuts, finely ground
- 1 cup / 170 g flaxseeds, finely ground
- 8 eggs, preferably organic omega-3 or pastured or:
- ⅔ cup / 160 ml flaxseed gel + 1⅓ cup / 320 ml prepared egg white replacer (¼ cup / 38 g mixed with 1 cup / 240 ml water)
- ½ tsp. / 3 g salt, preferably native saltpan type
- 1 tsp. / 5 ml high-oleic safflower/sunflower or olive oil, for misting
* Turkey Stock
- 2+ tsp. / 10+ g high-oleic safflower/sunflower or olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1½ cup / 160 g fresh celery and leaves, chopped
- ¾ cup / 120 g pine nuts, toasted
- 1 Tbsp. / 5 g ground sumac
- 1 Tbsp. / 2 g fresh sage leaves, chopped or:
- Salt to taste, preferably native saltpan type
- 2 cups / 480 ml turkey stock, homemade* or prepared, preferably organic low-sodium
- Turkey gizzards, heart, and neck from 1 turkey, cut into 1-inch / 2.5 cm section
- 1 Tbsp. / 14 ml high-oleic safflower or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp. / 5 g total ground black pepper, minced garlic, parsley, and thyme
- 2½ cups / 600 ml water
Directions For Bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C. Mist 8×8-in/20×20-cm baking pan with oil.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs or whisk together flaxseed gel and white replacer.
- In a large bowl, blend together hazelnut and flax meals with salt, then add egg/replacers; mix well.
- Pour into a well-greased mini-loaf pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden on top and inserted knife or toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven (do not turn off), and allow to cool before cutting.
- Mist baking sheet with oil.
- Cut cooled bread into cubes, and place on baking sheet in a single layer. Mist the cubes.
- Place baking sheet in oven, and bake for approximately 15 minutes, turning each to ensure even browning and crisping on all sides.
- In the meantime, warm oil in a lidded pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and saute until translucent and lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in remaining ingredients (except bread cubes), reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until celery is gender, about 10 minutes.
- Turn off stove and add in toasted bread cubes. Combine well.
- You can serve as is, or bake the combination for 15 minutes for optimal texture and flavor.
½ cup / 100 g Exchanges per Serving:
½ Carb, 1¼ Protein, 2 Fat
Wasn't that delicious? Do you want more?