So many granolas are full of sugar and fat, but they don’t need to be! Try this quick and simple recipe for an energizing, trouble-free breakfast.
- 3½ cups / 550 gm regular whole oats (not instant)
- ½ cup / 60 gm chopped walnuts, raw or oven-toasted
- ½ cup / 70 gm sliced almonds, raw or oven-toasted
- ½ cup / 70 gm seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, flax, chia)
- ½ cup / 70 gm chopped organic dried fruit, currants, and/or raisins
- ½ cup / 115 g wheat germ, unsweetened
- ¼ cup / 60 ml olive, almond, or hazelnut oil
- ⅓ cup / 80 ml regular or date honey, no-sugar-added
- ½ tsp. / 1½ gm cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F / 160°C for regular granola, 120°F / 50°C for raw granola. Brush or mist a cookie sheet with oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together nuts, seeds, wheat germ, and dried fruit (as well as cinnamon, if desired).
- In a small saucepan over low heat, add oil and honey, and cook until liquid in consistently. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Spread a ½-1 inch / 1¼ – 2½ cm thick layer of the mixture onto the cookie sheet.
- For regular granola, bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown, then mix and turn the granola.
- Bake 5-10 more minutes (10 minutes for extra-crispy).
- For raw granola, bake for 45 minutes on each side at the lower temperature noted above, leaving the oven door slightly ajar for airflow.
- Cool completely before storage.
Serving Size: ¼ cup
Exchanges per Serving: 1¼ Carb, ½ Protein, 1 Fat