Eggplant Parmesan lightened up. Gluten-free, Paleo-friendly, and vegan-friendly.
10 minutes + 1 hour
- 1 medium eggplant/aubergine, sliced
- ½ cup / 120 ml water
- 1 Tbsp. / 15 ml olive oil
- ½ cup / 100 g red or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove fresh garlic, chopped
- 2 cups / 480 ml stewed tomatoes, preferably without added sodium
- ½ cup / 16 g fresh mixed herbs (e.g., parsley, basil, oregano, thyme) or:
- 3 Tbsp / 9 g dried
- ½ cup / 60 g Parmesan cheese, grated or:
- nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C. Brush baking 9-inch / 23-cm square (or similar size) lidded baking dish with 1 teaspoon / 5 m oil.
- Place aubergine slices in prepared baking dish, and brush tops with 1 teaspoon / 5 m oil. Pour water over slices, cover dish, and place in oven; bake for 10 minutes, or until slices are nearly cooked through.
- Meanwhile, warm remaining oil in a non-stick lidded skillet over high heat. Add garlic and onions, and fry until translucent and soft, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes an herbs, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour tomato mixture over eggplants, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast, and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Optional:To reduce aubergine bitterness and bite, salt slices on both sides, and set aside to "weep" for 1 hour; after 1 hour, rinse the aubergine slices, and pat them dry.
Serving size: 1 cup / 200 g
Exchanges per Serving: ⅓ Carb, ⅓ Protein, ⅓ Fat, 1 Veg