The ultimate barbecuer's delight, full of protein, antioxidants, color, and flavor. Paleo and keto-friendly.
Click to get more Easy, Healthy Recipes
Preparation Time 45 minutes
Cooking Time 15 minutes
Difficulty Rating 2
* Preferably organic pastured
** Preferably sprouted
- 3 Tbsp / 45 ml olive oil
- 1 Tbsp / 15 ml lemon juice
- Salt or substitute to taste
- Rosemary to taste
- ½ tsp / 1¼ g ground black pepper
- 1½ lbs / 680 g (total) meat or meaty plant-based proteins of varying colors, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Skinless chicken* or turkey,* white or dark meat
- Lean beef*, pork*, and/or wild game, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Fatty beef cut such as porterhouse (for a keto version), cut into bite-sized pieces
- Organic tofu** and/or tempeh
- Seitan and/or fu
- 4 cups / 300 g mushrooms of various types (button, crimini, oyster, portabella, exotic edibles), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cups / 600 g cherry tomatoes of varying colors (red, orange, yellow, purple) or:
- 5 firm medium (4 oz / 120 g each) heirloom or regular tomatoes, cut into cubes
- 6 fresh garlic cloves, mashed
- 4 sweet bell peppers of varying colors (red, orange, yellow, purple), cut into 1-inch/2½-cm squares
- 3 red/purple and/or yellow onions, cut into 1-inch/2½-cm squares
- 1 medium zucchini/courgette, sliced into ⅛-inch/¼-cm rounds
- In a mixing bowl, combine ⅓ of the olive oil with the lemon juice, mashed garlic, salt/substitute, rosemary, and ground black pepper.
- Pour this mixture over meat/plant-proteins, tomatoes, sweet peppers, onion, and zucchini. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours
- Piece together skewers of the marinated ingredients, alternating colors.
- Heat pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and put skewers on it, turning every 5 minutes. Cook for 15 minutes and serve.
2 shishkebabsExchanges per Serving:
3 Protein, 1 Veg
Wasn't that delicious? Do you want more?