Delicious, Paleo-friendly, gluten-free, vegan, and kosher for Passover. They’re low in sugar and so nutritious and easy to make, you’ll find yourself packing these for a decadent snack on-the-go.
10 minutes + 45 refrigeration
- ½ cup / 75 g dates, soaked and pitted
- 1 cup / 240 ml plain water
- Peels from 1 orange, sliced or chopped
- 3 Tbsp / 20 g raw almonds, ground
- 3 Tbsp / 45 ml almond butter
- 3 Tbsp / 15 g shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 2 Tbsp / 10 g pure cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- ½ tsp / 2½ ml vanilla extract
- ⅛ / ¾ g salt
- Combine the first 3 ingredients, and allow to steep together for 30 minutes, until the dates have softened*.
- Place the dates in a food processor or high-speed food chopper, and blend until they have become paste-like.
- Add the almond meal and continue to blend/pulse until combined.
- Pour this mixture into a large mixing bowl, and add remaining ingredients, kneading to combine well.
- Chill the dough refrigerator until slightly firm, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Form balls or towers (i.e., with a fondant plunger) from tablespoons / soup spoons of the chilled dough, and place each on the prepared paper, pressing lightly to flatten the bottoms.
- Place the sheet in the preheated oven, and bake for 15 minutes, until the outside is lightly toasted.
* Save the steeped water to use as needed while forming the macaroons, and save a y leftover water to use as a delicious no-sugar beverage.
Serving size: 3 macaroons
Exchanges per Serving: 1 Carb, 1 Fat (=1 Sweet)