Bread stuffing is associated with the winter holidays. This healthy twist, with fast-and-simple preparation, means it can be enjoyed year-round.
- 6 cups bread, cubed (sprouted/100% whole grain regular or gluten-free)
- ¼ cup / 60 ml olive oil
- ½ cup / 80 gm chopped onion
- ½ cup / 50 gm chopped celery
- ½ cup / 35 gm chopped mushrooms
- 1 tsp. / 3 gm ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. / 0.7 gm ground sage or thyme
- 1 Tbsp. / 4 gm chopped fresh parsley or 1 tsp. dried leaves
- 1 cup / 240 ml low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350F / 175C. Spray a 2-quart / 2 litter baking dish with non-cook spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil, then add and sauté the onion, celery, and mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until the onion and celery pieces are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the pepper and sage, and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Place the bread cubes into a large bowl. Gradually pour the rest of the ingredients over the cubes and toss well, until all of the bread is coated.
- Gradually add the broth and mix lightly with fork to moisten the bread mixture.
- Pour in prepared baking dish, cover lightly with foil, and bake for 15 minutes.
Serving Size: ֲ½ cup
Exchanges per Serving: 1 Carb, 0 Protein, 0 Fat