A classic vegan-friendly meal-in-one!
- ½ cup / 100 gm brown rice, uncooked
- 4 cups / 960 ml water
- ½ cup / 100 gm black beans, uncooked
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. / 10 ml olive oil
- 1 small hot pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 tsp. / 5 ml lime juice
- To cook the brown rice, boil 2 cups / 480 ml of water with butter in a small pot. Then stir in the brown rice. Close the lid and turn down the heat to low. Cook for approximately 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour the black beans in another small pot, and add in 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and lower the heat. Cover and allow to simmer for an hour or until soft and easily mashed with a fork.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a small saute pan over medium heat, and saute the onions with the hot pepper until the onions are translucent.
- Transfer the cooked rice into a microwavable bowl, preferably not plastic. Top with black beans, onion, hot pepper, lime juice, and remaining olive oil. Heat it in the microwave for about 6-8 minutes.
Serve. Stir together before eating.
Serving size: 1 cup