The essential stuffed pepper recipe for meat-lovers. Low-carb, Paleo, and keto-friendly.
Click to get more Easy, Healthy Recipes
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour
Difficulty Rating 2
Health Level 2
- 2 medium sweet red bell peppers
- 4 oz / 120 g ground beef (mince)*, preferably organic pastured (lean for non-keto version)
- ¼ cup / 30 g brown or wild rice, uncooked (leave out for keto version)
- 1 cup / 240 ml water or vegetable broth/stock, preferably low-sodium
- 1 egg, preferably organic omega-3 or pastured
- 16 oz / 460 ml tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. / 5 ml olive oil
- ¼ tsp. / ½ g ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 Tbsp. / 3 g Italian seasoning blend, preferably salt-free
- 1 Tbsp. / 4 g fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
* or other ground/mince meat, game, or poultry
- Cook rice in water or broth/stock until just tender, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C. Brush or mist 8x8-inch / 20x20-cm baking dish with olive oil.
- While rice is cooking, warm a non-stick skillet over medium heat, add beef, and lightly brown for about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove beef from heat, and set aside.
- Cut peppers in half and clean out ribs and seeds.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine egg, rice, black pepper, Italian seasonings, and browned beef; blend together well.
- Add ¼ of meat mixture to each bell pepper half.
- Place in baking dish and cover with tomato sauce. Bake for 40 minutes, or until peppers are tender and sauce is bubbling.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
1 stuffed pepper halfExchanges per Serving: ⅓
Carb, 1 Protein, 1 Veg
Wasn't that delicious? Do you want more?